Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Wildcat Epic 100

Lippmann Park Loop
So where do I begin? This is my first blog of the year and if it seems to be arriving a little late, it’s for good reason. A lot has happened, very little of it has had to do with mountain bike racing, at least not directly, hence my silence. I should have been on my 5th race report by now, but for one reason or another, I didn’t make it to any of the races on my calendar until last weekend. These excu…er, um…reasons include weather related cancelation (Patapsco), scheduling (Patapsco rain date), laziness (Marysville relay), injury (Dragon’s tale), and one big fat American wedding (Iron Hill/Michaux Maximus/Douthat). And so here I was in mid May, with no racing under my belt, staring down the barrel of my first 100 miler on what was shaping up to be one of the Spring’s worst weather days…oh joy.
Late in 2012, when I was planning out my season, I decided I’d cross two significant events off my Fuckit list ( A Fuckit list is a lot like a bucket list only much more off handed, as in "Oh fuck it, why not?"): A mountain bike stage race, and an NUE hundred miler. I’d decided to take on the Trans-Sylvania Epic in PA as a Duo Team with my friend Rob Campbell, and the Wildcat 100 solo in the company of my Eleven Madison Park/Bicycle Tech Racing team mates. The latter fell just 2 weeks before the former on the calendar, so the plan was to train right up through Wildcat, and then rest/taper for TSEpic. But as chaos theory will tell us, there are almost too many variables for things to ever go exactly according to plan. Without getting into too much detail, my training for TSE was going great until I crashed in on a training ride, suffering a patellar contusion (fancy name for a bruised knee). This kept me off the bike completely for almost 3 weeks, and while I lost remarkably little fitness , I didn’t gain any either…at a critical time when I should have been making key improvements necessary to be competitive in such a grand an undertaking as a 7 day stage race. Trust me when I tell you, I’ve never felt less like myself than I did during these weeks. It was miserable not being able to ride; I was depressed and I felt like a stranger in my own skin. Not fun. Meanwhile Rob had gotten very fast, and for a Duo team to work, and not to be an exercise in frustration, both parties need to be at least close in fitness.  It is for primarily this reason that I decided to bow out of TSEpic and re-focus on other races.
This brings us to the Wildcat 100. With TSEpic out of the picture I began to look at Wildcat as more than just something I wanted to survive. Even though I only had a few weeks left to train, I wanted to give myself a measurable goal. Wildcat is part of the National Ultra Endurance series (NUE) and in the NUE, the Masters (old fart) category is 50 and over. Since I’m still just a kid at 46, I had to race in the OPEN category…against some of the country’s fastest endurance racers, who chase points by doing most of this nationwide series…so the goal I set for myself needed to be somewhat modest, yet lofty enough to keep me motivated. With over 100 racers registered in my class., I decide to shoot for the top 25, while telling myself that I’d be perfectly happy if I cracked the top half. After all, I was in uncharted waters here.
Fast forward to race day...it’s a total shit sandwich…one horrible rain soaked day in the middle of multiple days of gorgeous sunny spring weather. Waking up in a cheap motel room at 4:30 am to the sound of rain hitting the window is not a great motivator when doing your first hundred miler. If 5 out of my 6 team mates weren’t there to share the pain with me, I might very well have rolled over and gone back to sleep. But awaken I did and at 6:45 I was on my bike with 300 other fools in the little town of Rosendale, NY. A minute later were racing. Daniel, Kris, TJ and I tried to stay together through the slick and jagged Williams Lake single track that began only a mile into the race. Needless to say it was a total bottleneck as the whole race funneled down to a narrow ribbon of slippery roots and sharp shale. It worked for a short while until TJ lost his glasses and had to stop and grab them. Daniel, (who was doing the metric 100 (66 miles) and I remained together through the Williams, the ridge top trails behind Rosendale and up the first long road climb to the rocky goodness of the Larson loop. We were joined on the climb by a familiar face; Kirt Mills from MTBNJ. There was still quite a bit of traffic in the Larsen singletrack at this point and I figured that Kris and TJ would catch us at any moment, but to my surprise, when we popped out on the rail trail a few miles later, not only didn’t I see them but Daniel was gone too.  I sat up for bit, but they never made contact again, and when the small pack I was with started to pull away, I had no choice but to jump on with them or be stranded in no man’s land. So much for the team dynamic.
Aside from one nearly missed turn, a big climb to the top of the Mohonk ridge and some beautiful epic fog, the next 15 miles were pretty uneventful. I was in a revolving pack of riders that grew and shrank...hovering at around 7. Kirt was still with me and was riding well. I remarked to him at one point about how the rain was holding off and the conditions were actually surprisingly good. Of course, no sooner did I open my mouth that it started to rain….hard. The gravely carriage roads of Mohonk  became soaked with standing water, and even though I had put fenders on my bike for the occasion, the spray from the pack’s tires had me soaked though in no time. The small pack stayed together until the first aid station at mile 26. For the moment, the rain had abated. We stopped, re-fueled and were on our way…plunging down a long, fast 1500 vertical foot road descent on the other side of the Shawangunk ridge. This led us to the Lippman Park trails, a 10 mile loop of flowy singletrack that turned harder and more technical the higher we climbed. The conditions got worse too, as the skies opened up again and hard steady rain was falling once more. I was watching my heart rate closely; trying making sure I never pushed myself too hard, knowing that the race hadn’t really even begun yet. By the time we were done with the seemingly endless switchback descent in Lippman, the road was a welcome reprieve. What wasn’t so welcoming was the fact that we had to now ascend the massive ridge we’d just come down.
So up we went, headed back towards the aid station. My HR was running a little high so I fell back from Kirt and the pack and just rode my pace…losing a couple of football fields in the process.  By the time I reached the aid station, the pack had splintered, but Kirt was there changing into some dry clothes. I decided to wait for him…we were riding well together and the thought of heading into the last 50 miles of the race solo was pretty unappealing. The aid station was only the top of the road portion of the climb. From there the climb went on for another half hour, culminating with a steep wall at the end which had me grinding it out in my easiest gear. This brought us to beautiful Lake Awosting and the top of Minnewaska State Park. It was now raining heavily again and we were soaked through to the bone;  just in time for the massive 35mph fire road plummet to the valley below. Had it been colder this could have been miserable, but it never got below 60 so we were able to bomb the myriad switchbacks and grin with idiot glee at the bottom.
Those smiles faded quickly, as the next 20 miles were as close to Hell on Earth as I could imagine, but then my of idea of Hell involves mud and rain as opposed to smoke and ash. There were stretches of singletrack with ankle deep muck that were nearly impossible to ride when travelling in a flat strait line, let alone going up or when it got technical or twisty. There were endless sections of open fields in the apple orchards that you could ride, but it was like having fly paper stuck to your tires. My one consolation was that I was still feeling pretty strong, and while a bit mentally taxed, I never felt the urge to quit.
It seemed these orchards went on forever, and I’ve never been so happy to be riding a flat, boring rail trail as when we finally popped out on The Wallkill and headed back towards Rosendale. Of course, I could have used a little less than 10 miles of rail trail…the monotony of which gave both Kirt and me ample time to ponder the fact that we still had to repeat the Larson Singletrack, ridge trail, and the Williams Lake loop. We stopped at the final aid station in New Paltz and I had my first solid food (if a granola bar counts as solid food) of the day, and some Heed that tasted like the big toe of a cadaver*. In 4 miles we finally hit the turn into to Larsen, and climbed up to that most excellent piece of trail, making good time on it as it was still in surprisingly good shape. We bombed down the road back into Rosendale, then climbed back up to the ridge trail. It was a mud bath…as bad or worse than the orchards and almost impossible to ride. It was like completely re-learning how to steer the bike. After slogging through that torturous mile of muck, we had reached the access road to Williams Lake and came through the finish area preparing for what was certainly going to be a miserable final 3 miles…and just as I rolled through I heard people yelling that we were done. Apparently the trail conditions had gotten so bad that the organizers deemed them unsafe to ride. Though I did feel a tinge of disappointment for not being able to complete the course and the full 100 miles, don’t think I’ve ever been happier to be finished with a race as I was in that moment.
It was over. My first hundred miler was in the books. I congratulated Kirt and thanked him for being such great company for such a brutal event. For someone who claims not to be an endurance guy, he rode one hell of a strong race. After the tedious process of changing out of my mud soaked clothes and hosing off my mud caked bike, I limped over to the finish tent get some real food (I’d eaten nothing but gels, chews and bananas during the race; a strategy that worked well, but left me famished) and check results. RogieRog and Monte were there; they had come in 20th in open and 3rd in Single speed respectively. Well done! Daniel had finished his metric century hours earlier and had gone home, and Kris and TJ were still out on course. Eventually Kris rolled in looking relatively fresh, and I got a text from TJ saying he was at the last aid station, barfing on the side of the trail, but that he was not giving up (he’d been battling a stomach virus all week). About an hour later he kept his promise and rolled through the finish, asking us if we were in the mood to go out and do some hill repeats. After getting the results straightened out, I learned I had finished in exactly 25th place in the open class, in a time of 9 hours and 16 minutes. I’d met my goal…if just barely. I rode a pretty smart, if somewhat conservative race; in that I kept a close watch on my heart rate, making sure I never burned too many matches, timed my hydration and gel intake very carefully, and didn’t take any unnecessary risks on the bike. More importantly I’d learned some valuable lessons: yes, with an average heart rate of 151, I probably could have pushed harder in places, and my aid station stops could have been much faster and more efficient, which is something I will look at carefully before my next NUE (Yup, I’ve got the bug!). But more importantly, it was a reminder of just what we are capable of when we set our minds to it. I was asked a few years ago if I thought I’d ever do one of these and my reply was an emphatic “No fucking way!!!” If I can survive this, what can life throw me that I can’t overcome? It’s not always easy taking lessons learned on the bike and applying them to the rest of your life, but I’m sure as hell going to try.
Until next time, happy trails!
-G

*I stole that line from Henry Miller's "Tropic of Cancer"

No comments:

Post a Comment